Sunday, January 5, 2014

The Aftermath of the Battle of Gog and Magog

Today I read Ezekiel 39 where the Lord continues His prophecy against Gog and Magog.  This is the chapter that states after the battle that Israel will spend 7 months burying all the dead people.  I can't even fathom that.  I mean spending 6 days a week, 8 hours a day most likely, dozens if not hundreds of people helping, that is a staggering amount of dead people!  I mean it's not exactly a task you would put on the back burner and be lackadaisical about. 

And then the other half of this prophecy is that the Israelites will burn the weapons of war for 7 years!  Now, before today, even though I have read this chapter before, I had assumed that there was going to be a great big bon fire that everyone would toss the weapons onto and watch them burn and there would be so many weapons that it would take 7 years to burn up all the weapons.  However, after today's reading I now think that the Israelites will use the weapons of war as fuel for their fires instead of trees.  The Lord says that they will burn up the bows and bucklers and will not cut down any trees for seven years.  This makes a lot more sense than my original idea of it taking seven years to burn all the weapons.  It still doesn't make much sense to me though, if this is the battle before the Second Coming, why are they using wooden weapons?  Why would they not be using guns and explosives?  I'm sure it will all make sense in the end.  I personally try to focus more on the doctrine than on prophecies like this.  The doctrine is far more useful to me now and as long as I am clean and living the commandments, I will be just fine when the Lord comes again.  Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment