Monday, March 24, 2014

The Righteous Need Not Fear His Coming

Today I read Malachi 4 which is normally famous for its verses on family history, temple work and coming of Elijah.  However, I was actually struck by verse 2.  In verse 1 it talks about how the wicked will burn up as stubble when the Lord comes again.  But in verse 2 it actually speaks to the righteous.  It says that those who fear His name, the Son of Righteousness will rise up with healing in His wings.  We always think about all the wicked who will perish when the Lord comes again.  But it is a day of joy and gladness for those that love the Lord and keep His commandments. 

When we rely upon the Lord, we have a much grander view of the world.  We understand that this life is temporary and if we suffer in this life, that is ok.  If we endure it well, it will be to our benefit.  However, there are of course wicked perversions that are done by the evil of the world and while even those are to our benefit, they are not trials given to us by God to make us stronger.  Unfortunately with agency comes abuse.  There are plenty of wicked people in the world who abuse their sacred gift of agency and do that which is wicked and wrong in the sight of God.  I still don't know how God handles seeing it.  That is why I am not God, I couldn't stop myself from wiping such evil from off the face of the earth.  I need to learn temperance I guess.

Well, this is the last chapter in the Old Testament and so my nearly 4 year journey of recording my impressions as I read the scriptures comes to a conclusion.  I have read the entire standard works, something I have never done before.  I have read the Book of Mormon many times, but I have never read the Bible cover to cover.  I am going to start reading the Book of Mormon again tomorrow and I will continue to record my impressions and my thoughts.  It will be interesting to see how different they are from 4 years ago.  It has been a marvelous journey and a wonderful experience.  Thanks to all who have read and commented.  Even though I have not commented back, I have really enjoyed knowing that there are some who read what I have to say and that it has helped some people.  I hope it will continue to be a positive influence in the lives of others and will be an instrument for God to use in furthering His work.  Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment