Thursday, March 27, 2014

Lehi Prays on Behalf of His People

Today I read 1 Nephi 1 and I was impressed with something I have never noticed about this chapter before.  I noticed that the reason Lehi saw his vision in the first place, is because he was praying for the welfare of his fellow Jews.  Much like Enos, his grandson would do almost 100 years later, Lehi was concerned for the people of his acquaintance and was concerned about the wickedness he saw.

I have never noticed this before.  I always thought that Lehi was just praying and the Lord chose him as a prophet and so he saw his vision.  But that is not the way it happened at all.  The Lord heard Lehi's prayers, knew that he was concerned about the welfare of his fellow people and decided to share with him what would happen to them if they did not repent.  I wonder if this was Lehi's first vision?  Had he seen any visions before this one?  We are not told because the record that Lehi kept was lost by Martin Harris when his wife stole it.  Whether he had a vision prior to this or not, I have a new respect for Lehi knowing that his vision came as a result of his praying on the behalf of his fellow people.  He was a great man indeed!  Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment