Tuesday, March 18, 2014

The Lord Will Not Protect The Unrighteous Forever

Today I read Zechariah 11 and first I have to say that I never realized before today that there were prophecies about Judas Iscariot betraying Jesus and casting the 30 pieces of silver down.  I wonder if Judas knew about the prophecy?  Somehow I doubt it.  That interesting bit aside, the part I found interesting today was when the Lord told Israel that He would no longer deliver them.  It made me wonder if the Jews fell into the same trap as the Nephites did, of thinking that all their great military victories were the result of their own strength and planning. 

Did they, like the Nephites, really believe that they were so strong and learned in the art of war?  Or did they recognize the Lord's hand in preserving them?  Surely they knew, as did the Nephites, that the Lord had won their battles anciently such as the battle of Jericho, but did they lose sight of who they were and think they were so different from their ancestors that they no longer needed God?  Of course I do not have the answers to these questions, but I suspect that the Israelites too forgot their God and did not recognize His hand in their salvation.  Just like our society is losing sight of our own roots and instead leaning on the arm of flesh to save us.  We will find out all too soon how the Lord was preserving us just as He always has those who obey Him.  And it will be a sad day indeed when that happens.  Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment