Monday, March 10, 2014

God Protects Those that Serve Him

Today I read Zechariah 2 where the Lord shows Zechariah a vision of Jerusalem and promises to be its protection if Judah will but serve Him.  My dad and I have a debate that we have talked about off and on for years now about where a country that truly serves God needs a standing army.  He says we do not, that we need to put our faith in God and He will fight our battles for us like He did with the city of Enoch.  I say we do need a standing army because God steps in after all we can do.  The Nephites always had an army, the battles the Israelites had always had an army which the Lord upheld in order to keep them safe.  Neither one has been able to convince the other and the worst part is, there is amble evidence to support both sides. 

The one thing that we both agree on though, is that the Lord protects the righteous.  I have talked extensively in the past about Heavenly Father protecting those who keep His commandments.  How I have miraculously survived experiences that would have maimed if not killed me.  Even my non-LDS friends always attributed this to righteous living.  And rightly so.  The scriptures are replete with examples of God protecting the righteous.  So whether God requires us to have an army to protect our countries or not, the one thing we all can agree on, is that the best way to convince God to step in and help in times of need, is to live His commandments!  Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment