Sunday, October 20, 2013

Jeremiah Tells the People of Jerusalem's Destruction

Today I read Jeremiah 19 where Jeremiah tells of the impending destruction of Jerusalem.  He tells them that the city will be utterly destroyed and that the people will become cannibals because of the siege.  I wonder if there were any righteous left in the city at this point to hear Jeremiah's prophecy?  I kind of hope there weren't because that would be heartbreaking to hear.  That not only your city be destroyed completely, but the people will start eating each other.  It reminds me of Abraham being told that the Lord will destroy Sodom and Gomorrah, where he bargained with the Lord to spare them if He found 10 righteous people.  Abraham couldn't bear the thought of all those people being destroyed.  I wonder if Jeremiah did the same or if he understood his people were beyond saving?  Perhaps I will find out in later chapters, but one thing is for certain, Jeremiah did not shirk his duty to prophesy to the people.  Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment