Monday, January 28, 2013

The Ammonites Insult David

Today I read 1 Chronicles 19 and 20 which tells the story of how the Ammonites snub David's good will gesture and insult him.  In a way it is a little funny because I'm sure when the Ammonites were shaving David's messengers and cutting off their clothes, it was very funny to them and they thought they were big and strong.  However it is almost like they were surprised that David reacted the way he did.  Maybe it's just the way it is written and that's not really the case, but that is how it read to me.  And I kind of wish I had been there to just ask them, what did you expect to have happen?

Chapter 20 continues the story of the battle and offered very little extra in the way of reading.  Although it was interesting that another giant of Gath appeared and this one had 6 fingers on each hand and 6 toes on each foot.  This statement stood out to me and made me wonder if perhaps this man, and Goliath also, had some form of disorder and that is why they were so tall?  Little nuggets like that are part of what make reading the scriptures fun to me.  It is a little challenging to feel the Spirit while reading the Old Testament at times, but it sure does have a lot of very interesting facts in it.  Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment