Monday, April 21, 2014

We Are Meant to Enjoy Life



Today I read 2 Nephi 2 and I was just thinking about this chapter yesterday.  Yesterday in Elder’s Quorum meeting we were learning about Joseph Fielding Smith and his teachings and we were reading the chapter on the Kingdom of God.  One of the headings states that the Gospel is designed to bring happiness to us in this life as well as in the life to come.  That really struck me yesterday and again today as I was reading verse 25.  Sometimes I think we get so focused on the fact that we need to do what is right and secure blessings for us in the life to come that we don’t take the time to enjoy ourselves here and now.

I have a friend whose sister is married to one of President Monson’s grandsons.  One of the things I learned from my friends is that President Monson still goes on vacation every year.  He generally goes fishing.  I met Elder Bednar a few years ago who talked about going golfing during his free time.  This is not something that we normally think about.  I know when I think about the Apostles and the Prophet I think of them working all the time.  But that is not the case.  They have down time.  They watch wholesome TV and read good books.  They find enjoyment in this life.  They spend time with their families.  We are meant to find pleasure in this life in the right places and in the proper methods.  But it should not be our focus.  We should not be so consumed with pleasure and leisure that we lose sight of why we are here and we absolutely should not find pleasure in the wrong things.  We need to practice temperance in all things, especially our pleasure.  But we need to make sure we are enjoying our life here on the earth.  Otherwise, why are we here?  Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment