Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Nephi Makes a Second Set of Plates

Today I read 1 Nephi 19.  I have always liked this chapter.  I like how Nephi references so many different prophets in regards to the Savior and how many different witnesses there are that have testified of Him.  Nephi tells us that he was commanded to make a different set of plates to write the sacred things of his ministry on them.  It is also interesting to me that Nephi actually makes an excuse for himself in this chapter also.  He states that because of his weakness he excuses his imperfections and apologizes for the things he chose to include in his writings.  This is one of the few times that Nephi actually seems like a normal person to me. 

Now I suppose I should not think it strange that Nephi includes the best things about himself in his writings that he knew would be read by others for centuries to come.  If I knew that my journal was going to be read by most of the human race, I think I would write only the best things too.  Why would I purposefully put my worst foot forward if I could avoid it?  So it makes sense to me that Nephi would write the way he does.  That and he genuinely was a great man after all.  We can't deny that.  He was like Captain Moroni, if all men had been like those two, evil would never gain a foothold on this world!  Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment