Friday, April 4, 2014

Costly Apparel



Today I read 1 Nephi 8 and I was struck by the phrase that the dress of those in the great and spacious building was exceedingly fine.  I have often wondered why it is in the scriptures, especially in the Book of Mormon, it points out that the wicked were always dressed in costly, or fine apparel.  Why is it that the wicked are drawn to wearing expensive clothing?  Is the clothing itself to blame?  Hardly.  Clothing are inanimate objects and of themselves are not wicked or righteous.  So what is it then?

I have noticed in our own time, that the pure in heart, the humble, will often dress simply and in a non-distracting manner.  However, I have often noticed that the prideful or the arrogant will dress in very distracting clothing.  Clothing that makes them stand out, either in a good way or a bad way.  My wife really enjoys watching a show where people make clothing and then show it off on a fashion show and they are then judged on the clothing.  I have noticed on the times that I have watched it with her, both the contestants and the judges, or authorities if you  will, are extremely prideful and not necessarily nice individuals.  They are often overly critical and quite harsh at times.  I have no idea why the fashion industry is like this, and I don’t think it is limited to just the fashion world.  It seems to me that most people that consider themselves above another person are this way.  And there is a word for this….pride.  And I will say that these individuals often are well dressed in clothing that is extremely expensive.  Again to me, it all goes back to pride.  They are doing it to set themselves apart I think.  There might be other reasons, but does a dress that costs $600 really fit and feel better than one that costs $60?  Does a suit that costs $1000 really feel that much different from one that only costs $200?  I don’t think so. 

Pride is the sin that brings all nations to their knees and often times, to destruction.  If we can rid ourselves of pride, I imagine we would see all the overpriced clothing of the world disappear too.  There are SO many things that are better for us to spend our money and time on.  Things like helping those who don’t have enough money to provide for food or shelter for themselves and their families.  Those are the things we should be spending our time on.  Not the accumulation of wealth for the sake of prestige or being wealthy.  Dress modestly in both appearance and cost.  If we do this, we will be much happier in the long run.  Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment