Thursday, April 17, 2014

How Does the Lord Choose?




Today I read 1 Nephi 20 where Nephi records Isaiah 48.  Nephi states that Isaiah is easy to understand for those who are learned in the manner of the Jews.  I wonder what makes the difference?  I wonder why knowing the learning of the Jews makes it easier.  I have tried over the years to draw a similar comparison to say President Monson’s talks, but his talks are so straightforward and easy to understand, I don’t see how anyone could misinterpret them.  Perhaps Isaiah is like the Savior Himself, speaking in imagery so that those who are not ready to understand the Gospel will not be held accountable as if they heard it. 

I wonder how the Lord chooses which of His prophets will record which writings?  Nephi was shown the same vision as John the Revelator but was told not to write it because John had that responsibility.  The Lord clearly has assigned certain prophets to write about certain things, but we are not told what things each one is told to write.  I wonder if certain prophets have certain strengths that the Lord capitalizes on and that is how He chooses?  Like so many things, we are not told.  But as we read each one’s writings, we can feel the Spirit behind the words and can harken to the words in the scriptures.  That is the best thing we can do in all situations.  Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment