Thursday, April 4, 2013

Job Loses His Family

Today I read Job 1.  I have always been intrigued by the book of Job.  No one can really agree if it is real or a story meant to prove a point.  In this chapter God gives Satan permission to take away the blessings that Job has enjoyed.  The reason Satan is given permission is because Satan believes that Job is only loyal to God because of his blessings.  Satan maintained that if Job lost everything he would curse and blame God.  I think a lot of people would in fact of done just as Satan predicted would happen.  Job however, did not curse or blame God.  He merely got upset and said that the Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away.  I have to be honest I'm not sure that would be my response if I lost all of my children and all of my fortune in the same afternoon.  I'm not sure I would curse God either, but I don't think I would be so calm as to say something like "Oh well them's the breaks I guess".  But Job is certainly a good example of a faithful servant and understands that just because someone is good and obeys the commandments it does not stop them from having trials.  Trials help us grow, even the really, really challenging ones.  Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment