Thursday, August 22, 2013

These are Had So Far in Advance

Today I read Isaiah 18 and I have to say sometimes I feel like Alma's son Corianton.  Alma states that Corianton marvels at the fact that knowledge of the Atonement is known so far in advance.  Sometimes I too marvel that some things seem to be known so far in advance.  This chapter is about the latter day gathering of Israel in the United States, specifically in Utah.  At least that is how I have always interpreted the scriptures about raising an ensign to the nations.  I also can't help but wonder if prophets like Isaiah inquired to know what they learned like Nephi, or if they were just chosen to see it and commanded to write it, like John the beloved.  The chapter where Isaiah is chosen to be a prophet certainly makes it seem like he volunteered for the job.  But it doesn't answer the question of whether or not the prophet asked to see what they saw, especially those who see the latter days. 

I do believe that God gave prophets visions of the future of the house of Israel to give those people hope.  They may not have understood it at the time, but perhaps as they were being carried away by the conquering Assyrians they took comfort in knowing that one day their descendants would be restored to their former glory.  I know I would have taken comfort in that thought, and if there is one thing I have learned about Heavenly Father is that He delights in comforting His children.  We are certainly left to choose for ourselves what we want and all He desires is our happiness.  So it is no true surprise to me that these things are known so far in advance.  God wants there to be no secret so we can repent and turn to Him.  Let's not disappoint Him.  Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment