Thursday, August 8, 2013

Leave the World a Better Place

Today I read Ecclesiastes 1 and I was struck by the idea that nothing we do really has any lasting benefit.  The author makes the point that generations come and generations go, so what does a man's labor profit?  At first this statement can appear depressing and more than a little defeatist.  I mean if nothing we do really matters, why bother doing it?  While I do in fact believe that as far as the earth is concerned nothing we really do matters, the earth will be here and fix itself, I do believe that we have an obligation to leave the world better than we found it for our children.  Heavenly Father is very interested in how we spend our time while here on the earth.  If we did not spend our time being productive we will have a hard time explaining that to our God.  And ask anyone who has ever witnessed someone on their death bed, they almost always wish they had spent more time with family.  That is why I spend almost all day everyday except for when I am at work, with my three year old daughter.  That is where I need to be, by her side having a good time and teaching her the things she needs to know.  If I do nothing else right in this life, I will mold my little girl into a wonderful woman who loves the Lord and respects herself.  Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment