Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Loss of Life Over Ideas

Today I read Isaiah 16 where Moab appeals to Israel for help and Judah declines.  It always has made me wonder how the affairs of so many people are decided by so few.  I remember growing up that the Russians were the enemy.  They were the bad guys.  This entirely because of the Cold War.  And yet when I was 9 years old, the Berlin Wall came down and the Cold War ended.  Now I have a close friend who is married to a wonderful German girl and another friend the used to be married to a Russian girl.  We are no longer enemies.  And I have to wonder, were we ever really enemies?

Often times, wars are fought over the disagreements of just a few individuals.  The kings, presidents, prime ministers or leaders or nations disagree over something and as a result thousands, perhaps even millions of people die.  Is the idea that is causing all of this really worth so many lives?  The Cold War was fought over Communism vs. Capitalism.  Personally, Communism will never work because it is not voluntary and it is not universal among the nations that tried it.  So, are ideas worth so much generational hatred and destruction and loss of life?  I doubt Heavenly Father would think so.  I personally don't think so.  Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment