Monday, May 27, 2013

I Will Fear No Evil

Today I read Psalms 23 which is very famous.  This is the psalm that contains the famous words, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil.  When I was younger I used to think these words meant that he had faith that God would protect him.  Now that I am older, I don't think that is the case.  I think it is more that David has a perfect understanding of his Savior and the Atonement.  If you truly understand the Atonement, you will not fear death or any other condition that might come your way.  Now, that is not to say that death is not a sad thing.  If my wife or daughter were to leave this earthly life anytime soon I would cry for years for my loss.  I know that I would see them and be with them again, but my loss in this life would be physically painful it would hurt so badly.  But I do not fear death for myself because I know what awaits me.  I know that there is life after this one and that as we strive to do what is right and live the commandments, that the grace of Jesus Christ will make up the difference.  That is what I think he means by he will fear no evil.  All manner of horrible things can happen to us in this life, and the Lord will allow it if it is for our good.  But we should not fear death, it's sting has been taken away.  Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment