Monday, October 1, 2012

Dan Receives its Inheritance and Sets up Graven Images

Today I read Judges 18 which tells the story of the tribe of Dan, or at least part of them.  The chapter states that up to this point the tribe of Dan had yet to receive an inheritance.  Now I am unclear if that is the entire tribe of Dan or just part of them.  However, in their journeys they come across Micah and his graven images of silver from previous chapter.  However, instead of destroying the images, they took them with them and once they had a city they were established in, they set them up themselves in their new city.

For the life of me I cannot understand ancient Israel's fascination with graven images.  I know that in our day and age we have plenty of modern "graven images" that take us away from Heavenly Father, but physical graven images, really?  What is so great about a statue?  Why would you want them or desire them or actually bow down to worship them?  I just don't understand it.  I probably never will and maybe no one in this day and age does either.  Even modern religions like Buddhism only pray to a statue that represents their god.  And I understand that in ancient Israel the graven images were meant to represent gods, however, they had seen evidence with their own eyes that their God was real and took an active part in their lives.  What evidence did they have that those graven images did anything meaningful for them?  I will never understand it.  Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment