Sunday, October 7, 2012

Boaz promises to care for Ruth

Today I read Ruth 3 where Naomi instructs Ruth to lie down at the feet of Boaz.  She does this and promises to find Ruth a wife stating that there is another kinsman that is near than himself but if he will not do his duty then he himself would.

I wonder what Boaz thought of all of this.  I can't imagine that this was normal behavior for an Israelite woman.  But it seems that Boaz was not put off by this behavior but rather appears to have been intrigued by it.  If only all the world would do its duty the way that Boaz did towards Ruth.  Elder Oaks gave a very powerful talk yesterday about caring for children and the responsibility that adults have towards them.  It is really sad that so many children are neglected and abused in this day and age.  Children are such a precious gift and to be entrusted with one from Heavenly Father is a huge and sacred responsibility.  Sadly all too many people squander that opportunity.  Jesus Himself said in scriptures that it would have been better for such persons if they had never been born.  I don't see how anyone can really do such horrible things to children, but I guess there are all types of people on this earth.  It just saddens me is all.

Fortunately, my wife shares my ideas of what proper parenting is, that our daughter comes first, within reason.  We bend over backwards for her each and every day and do our best to teach her the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  She loves to read the scriptures and loves to sing the primary songs.  I just hope we do a well enough job that she gains a testimony and keeps it her entire life.  Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment