Monday, October 22, 2012

Saul Tries to Kill His Son

Today I read 1 Samuel 14 where Saul decrees that no man of Israel shall eat any food that day while they prepared for battle against the Philistines.  Jonathan, his son, had not heard of the decree and ate some honey that he found while marching.  So Saul tried to kill him, his only son, but luckily the people protected Jonathan from Saul.

As I read these stories, it makes me wonder about Saul and how long it had been.  How long had it taken him to fall so far?  It is interesting to me that the Lord would choose Saul to be king when he was this type of a man.  Did choosing him to be king change him?  Would he have already been like this whether he was king or not?  We partially discussed this question earlier when it described Saul as good of heart.  One day we will know the truth.  I am not sure which is the answer but I do know that the way the scriptures are written, Saul had a lot of problems.  Definitely not the kind of person you want for a king!  Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment