Monday, October 29, 2012

David Flees Saul to Gath

Today I read 1 Samuel 21 where David flees Saul's wrath and eats the hallowed bread.  I cannot even imagine what life must be like for David right now, to have to literally flee for your life and not knowing if anyone you meet will be trying to kill you or want to help you.  It honestly sounds like something out of a story book.  I also have to wonder about David lying to the priest.  He told the priest that Saul had sent him on a special assignment which is not the truth at all.  The commandments are very clear and don't say while you shouldn't lie, it's ok in certain circumstances.  I am not the judge for David or anyone thankfully, it's just interesting to me.

When I read this story of David fleeing Saul I often wonder why he doesn't just flee into the wilderness like Elijah did.  Why does he keep going to various cities where people might tell Saul where he ran off to?  Why not just go hide out until Saul dies?  That's what Elijah did and no one found him for several years.  I'm sure that David had his reasons, however, it just doesn't make sense to me.  I'm sure we'll be told one day.  I wonder if David had fun when he was pretending to be a madman in Gath?  It seems like that would be fairly enjoyable to play the madman and pretty much do what you want.  Although to be in fear of being caught and found out you are not insane, that must be pretty harrowing.  I hope I never have to find out.  Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment