Sunday, October 28, 2012

Jonathan Protects David from Saul

Today I read 1 Samuel 20 where David and Jonathan make a pact with each other.  It must have been very hard on Jonathan.  I am sure he loved his father and yet he was watching the man become a blood thirsty monster.  That could not have been easy for him.  And to have his own father throw a javelin at him to slay him simply because he challenged Saul about killing David asking him what David had done to deserve death, truly terrible. 

Saul's big mistake was pride.  He was upset at the mistakes he had made and upset that he saw a better man in David.  He was proud to the point of blindness.  He was furious that David was a better man than him.  It is really sad that it happened to him because of becoming king.  As we have stated before now, Saul was a goodly man before he was made king and he could not handle the power of being king.  It is one of the reasons I do not desire authority at all.  Heavenly Father Himself said that almost all men abuse power when they get it, I do not want to be that man.  I do not wish to abuse authority or power or any kind so I avoid it when I can.  If I am called however, in a church calling I will of course serve.  But worldly power, I want nothing to do with it, not at all.  I don't want to end up like Saul, or even David.  Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment