Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Hannah Gives Samuel to the Lord

Today I read 1 Samuel 1 where Hannah prays to get a child.  I know I have wondered about this before now, but I can't help but wonder at all the women who are barren in the scriptures.  I don't really think that it is anymore than we have in our own day, but it is just interesting that the few women who are mentioned in the scriptures are mostly barren.  I guess that is the trial they had to overcome in this life to grow.

It is very wonderful to see how Hannah keeps her promise to the Lord however and after Samuel is weaned she takes him to the temple and turns him over to Eli for the Lord.  It is frustrating however that so many women in the scriptures are so mean to others.  The scriptures state that the other women mocked Hannah for her barrenness so much so that Hannah would not even eat.  Why are we so mean to each other?  What do we gain from it?  It is pride that causes us to do this.  We do not become more by tearing others down, however pride makes us think that we are better if we tear others down.  It makes me sad and you can believe that it makes Heavenly Father sad also.  Someone once said that God counts the tears of children and wives.  I do not think this is true, but I do think we will be called to account for how we treated our wife and our children and how we treated everyone we came into contact with.  As I have said so often, you don't want to be on the receiving end of that!  Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment