Thursday, October 11, 2012

Samuel Hears the Lord

Today I read 1 Samuel 3 where Samuel hears the voice of the Lord.  This story has always made me smile.  I can't help but think how I would react if I were Samuel getting up and going to Eli.  The first time I might believe him that he didn't call me and maybe I imagined it because I was asleep.  But the second time I'm not sure I could stop myself from saying something along the lines of  "Look you called my name, I heard it.  I did not imagine it.  Now what do you want so I can go back to sleep?"  But Samuel is probably more humble than I am.  However it played out, it took 3 times before Eli realized what was happening.

However, in my opinion, the important part is that Samuel was willing and listened.  He answered the Lord that he was there and he was listening.  I have shared the story of my friend when I was a teenager that would not heed my advice no matter how much she sought it out.  No one likes to be asked what to do and then flat out ignored.  Not you, not me and you can bet not Heavenly Father.  If we ask Him what He wants us to do, I would imagine we have about 2 maybe 3 chances to do as He says before He stops telling us.  If we want Heavenly Father involved in our life and helping us, then we need to listen to Him when He speaks to us.  He may speak through His Prophets and Apostles such as at General Conference, or He might speak to us through the Holy Ghost.  However He talks though, we need to listen.  Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment