Friday, July 19, 2013

A Virtuous Woman is a Crown to Her Husband

Today I read Proverbs 12 where Solomon says that a virtuous woman is a crown to her husband.  I think this is because a virtuous woman will typically only marry a virtuous man and so the pinnacle of that man's virtuousness is his wife.  I know without my wife I would not be half the man I am today.  When I met her, I was actively trying to improve my life and be better than I was, but for years prior to that, I was just coasting along and not trying to improve myself.  If there is one thing I would say our church could do better at, it is helping our single members. 

All my life I knew what I working for and knew how to go after it.  When I was younger I prepared to get the priesthood.  When I got the priesthood, I prepared to get the Melchizedek Priesthood.  Once that was achieved, I prepared to go to the temple and serve a mission.  Once my mission for the church was finished, I went to college and prepared to meet my wife and live my life.  However, I finished college still unmarried and was left with a hole in my life's plan.  I had nothing else to work towards beyond getting married and becoming a father.  However, the only thing I was told to do in regards to getting married was to go on dates.  No one told me to keep working on myself and not lose the ground I had gained.

Now that I am older and a married man, I have looked around and seen similar situations with other single members of the church.  We have church activities for them and try to put them in the right place to meet the right type of spouse, but how well do we help them continue to grow in the Gospel and prepare themselves to be the right kind of wife or husband that a good faithful Latter-day Saint will want to be with.  Having lived that life for 7 years I know it can be a challenge but when we work on becoming the kind of spouse we want to be and attract, the Lord will bless our efforts.  And also speaking from experience a virtuous wife is indeed a crown for her husband and she will guide him and help him be the best he can be.  Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment