Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Some Things Never Change

Today I read Mosiah 7. This is where Ammon goes in search of the people of Limhi. I was struck by Limhi's speech to his people in the latter half of this chapter. He talks about Abinadi and how the people had put him to death because of his preaching.

As I was reading that verse, verse 26-28, I was struck by how some things never change. Religion is the means by which mankind defines deity and worships Him in whatever fashion they deem fit. However, all throughout history and even today, there is no single topic which can cause greater controversy than religion. And I'm left to wonder why that is.

As we draw closer to our God, the author of peace and love, shouldn't we become more like him and more at peace with the world? I always thought so, but as I look back on history and think of the prophets that have been stoned, the death of Jesus Christ, the Roman's persecution of early Christendom, the Crusades, the Inquisition, the early America's including the founding of Rhode Island, even down to today with the more extremist sects of Islam waging war against Christians. Never has there been more killing than in the name of God.

I can't help but ask myself why people are so inflamed when it comes to religion. Everything I know of God leads me to believe He is not pleased by this. In our church of course we believe that all men have the right to worship how and what they may and only ask for the same privilege. But it amazes me the sheer amount of atrocities that are committed in the so called cause of what is right. War is the single most ridiculous invention of mankind. Pride gets in the way when two people don't agree with each other and unfortunately those two men are kings and so they gather up as many men as they can and have them all kill one another until either one of them wakes up to the sheer lunacy of the idea or one finally kills the other.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Satan is GOOD at what he does. For 2000 years all Christendom has taught is to love your neighbor as yourself. If everyone on this planet would do that, there would be no wars, we would have no crime, and life would be paradise. But such is not our fate. We can only change ourselves, and that's a fact. It is up to us to make sure we are living the teachings of the Savior to their fullest each and everyday. Only by changing ourselves, one at a time can we ever hope to bring about a greater good. Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment