Thursday, July 15, 2010

If all Men would be like King Benjamin

I read Mosiah 1 today. And the phrase the comes to mind as I read it is one usually reserved for Captain Moroni in the book of Alma. "if all men had been, and were, and ever were would be like unto Moroni, behold, the very powers of hell would have been shaken forever..."

I think this applies to King Benjamin also, because here in Mosiah 1 we have a perfect example of a father who takes the time to teach his sons. I recently had the opportunity to speak in church, on Father's day actually, about the qualities a father in Zion has. I came across an article by President Benson that stated the calling of Father is eternal and one will never be released from it.

We all know a father's duty is to provide for his family. However, this is usually limited to their temporal needs, and often times their spiritual needs are sorely neglected. Usually because of a severe deficiency in their own spiritual lives. Whatever the reason however, it is inexcusable. If every father would teach their children the right way in which they should go, then as Mormon states it would cause the powers of hell to be shaken forever.

The best teaching method for parents has always been and always will be by example. However, it also is important to do actual teaching by word as Benjamin obviously did with his children. I firmly believe that almost all of our current societal ills stem from a break down in teaching good values to our children. We must each of us take care that we are teaching our children appropriate things and that they understand the importance of the things we are teaching them.

My wife is of course, pregnant with our first child. I look forward to being able to teach her the things that I have been taught in my life and in helping her find her way in this world. I can think of nothing more I would rather be than a father, except for maybe a husband. I smile at the thought of teaching her the knowledge I have accumulated in my life and in watching her grow up in righteousness until the Lord! Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment