Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Prophet, Seer and Revelator

Mosiah 8 is what I read today. I have always been fascinated with ancient cultures and people. I've always been saddened that some people can take as fascinating a subject as history and make it as dull as dirt. It's strange, but even though I already know the story of the Jaredites, every time I read Mosiah 8 or the Book of Omni, I get all giddy and excited about the prospect of finding an ancient civilization and exploring it trying to unlock its mysteries! I imagine myself with the 43 people that King Limhi sent out discovering the ancient, dilapidated buildings and finding all the dead people and animals and trying to ferry out its secrets!

Alas, I digress. The other reason I have always enjoyed this chapter is for the wonderful teaching tool that it is. In this chapter Ammon teaches Limhi about a prophet, seer and revelator. I was struck today by its description and one particular phrase Ammon uses, "Thus God has provided a means that man, through faith, might work mighty miracles;" This phrase instantly brought to my mind the priesthood.

A few weeks ago in 3rd hour at church, during Priesthood meeting, we had a lesson on Priesthood. During that lesson we talked about how the priesthood is a tool of service and nothing more. One who holds the priesthood cannot use it to bless his own life except in the sense that the proper use of it will bless his life immensely. But it does not bring power to the individual at all. Rather it forces the man who holds it to true humility since it cannot be used except in the service of others.

I had a mission companion that one day mentioned to me how he felt God must really love women more than men. I asked him what he meant and he replied that to enter the temple, men must hold some form of the priesthood, but women just have to be worthy. Now, I'm not sure if it has to do with greater love or not, but I do think that women are more naturally compelled to serve and don't need the priesthood to help them serve others because they do it of their own volition. Men on the other hand as a whole, seem to need that added incentive.

I personally am grateful for the opportunity to hold the priesthood, to have a tool whose sole purpose is to bless the lives of those around me. To act in God's name, in His behalf if He were here. It fills me with happiness and peace to know that I can be His tool on the earth. May we all strive to do His will in this life so that we may be worthy of His greatest reward for us, to become like He is! Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment