Monday, July 5, 2010

I must obey

Today I finished up the book of 2 Nephi by reading chapter 33. I have always been struck by Nephi's closing statement where he says, "for thus hath the Lord commanded me, and I must obey." as if he had no other recourse but to obey the commandments he has been given.

I think it always has stayed with me is because I feel the same way. Of course I am not perfect and I do not live my life perfectly, however, I view the commandments as non-optional. Yesterday morning before church my wife and I were talking together and I mentioned that when I served my mission, the days and weeks leading up to it I wasn't too happy about it and didn't really want to go, to the point that later my dad told me that he really worried I would change my mind, up until the point when I got on the plane.

However, he needn't have worried, because serving a mission is a commandment from God given through one of his prophets and it must be obeyed. I had no choice but to go on my mission. Yes it was challenging and I didn't really start to enjoy it until month 3 when I finally hit the mission field and got to work, but it was still a commandment. And honestly, I didn't mind being there and doing the work, the hard part was actually the separation. Separation from my family and separation from my friends.

It was also a challenge because I knew that serving a mission would change everything. That I was giving up my entire life. That even if my friends were still around when I got back things would be very different. I had built up a nice little life for myself and God asked me to give it up, for His sake. Of course I did it, it was just really challenging. However, like Job before me, when I had proven myself, God gave me a better life in return for the one I had given up for Him. He always does that too. I have given up my entire life for Him no less than 3 times now and every time it is worth it. Surprisingly it gets easier with time.

But it is so interesting to see people who view the commandments as mere suggestions. They most certainly are not. They are laws that God lives by and must be obeyed if we ever hope to return to Him and be like Him. That is why I like chapter 33 of 2 Nephi because I feel he is a kindred spirit to mine for I too feel I must obey God's commands. Hopefully all of you feel the same way too. Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment