Saturday, July 10, 2010

The Olive Tree Allegory Part 2

Today I read the 2nd half of Jacob 5. It's intriguing to me that the people of Israel should be compared to an olive tree vineyard. As I was reading it, I of course know that the branches represent people and the fruit are the works of those people.

However, I was reading it and if I were to read it as just a story about an owner of a vineyard I kept wondering to myself why wouldn't you just cut out those branches which only produce wild fruit. I don't know the first thing about olive trees so I can't answer it, but it just again re-enforced to me why you have to understand the symbolism of it all for it to make sense.

Having a knowledge of ancient Israel and the Book of Mormon peoples helps out a lot too. The larger picture of this chapter to me though is again, a true testimony of how the Spirit can help you to understand the scriptures better. Years after I was taught by the Spirit how to interpret this chapter, I came upon an article in an Ensign written by one of the prophets, I believe it was President Benson, where he explains Jacob 5. I got out my Book of Mormon and followed along with the article and was pleased to see that the notes I had written down exactly corresponded with the verses and what the Prophet was teaching. It made me feel good about myself that I had really listened to the Spirit those days, because it took 2 days for me to make it through that chapter there was so much He had to teach me. I hope you all find as much pleasure in the scriptures as I do. Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment