Saturday, July 31, 2010

Karma

Today I read Mosiah 19. This chapter always makes me laugh in a very unkind way. I have titled this post with the single word of karma. The reason for this is because I believe that there is justice in this world/life and I have seen many times where evil people get rewarded with good things because of their money or power.

However, I do believe that it always catches up with them in the end. There are very many people that it even catches up with them in this life. Take for example King Noah. He was a very wicked man and did horrible things to his people and of course to Abinadi. And in the end his people saw through the facade he portrayed and saw him for who he truly was and they rewarded his deception with the exact same type of death he himself had rewarded Abinadi with.

I know several people in this life that are loath to do that which is right in this life because they see the righteous suffer and can't understand why God would allow that to happen. I have met many people who mistakenly think everything is fine between them and God because they have a happy, easy life. I do not understand where people get this absurd notion that if they do that which is right in God's eyes, then everything will be happy and easy for them. What would be the point of that? Without struggle there is no growth. I have already touched on this subject so I will not dwell on it.

I once heard a talk that said there were essentially 3 reasons for following commandments of anyone, but especially God's commandments. The first and most basic reason is fear of punishment. We have ALL been in that camp before. Parents use this method a lot. They say things like don't touch that or else....and other similar threats. Some people do not want to go to hell when they die so they follow God's laws. This is by far the most basic of reasons for following any set of rules. Even animals understand this rule but do not enjoy it.

The middle reason for obeying laws and commandments is in the desire of a reward. Most of us have been in this camp at least once also. Who hasn't heard the phrase, "What's in it for me?" The desire for a reward is basic, everyone understands it. Think of the last time you tried to teach a dog a new trick. The desire for a treat is a great motivator. People want to get into heaven so they do good things.

The final reason for obeying laws and commandments is love. John 14:15 states, "If ye love me, keep my commandments." For the people in this category, the sheer act of knowing they did something for the other person is it's own reward. Sadly, some people go their entire lives without ever once stepping into this category. Well, this may not be true because I think almost all children are in this category for at least a little while. But I have met plenty of adults, teenagers and even children who this is a totally foreign concept for them. It's really sad because this is the one category that can motivate people the strongest.

I hope we all can move ourselves to the final category and do the right thing because we truly love God. I struggle each and every day to get more fully into that category. I hope you are as well. Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment