Sunday, July 11, 2010

The First Anti-Christ

Tonight I read Jacob 6 - 7. I have always been struck by Jacob 7. This is the chapter where Sherem, the first anti-Christ in the Book of Mormon, appears. It is really interesting to see the contrast of the anti-Christ in the Book of Mormon compared to our day.

In the Book of Mormon, the anti-Christ's believe the scriptures, but deny the Christ. This is interesting because as both Jacob and Alma point out, the scriptures all testify of Christ. For the Nephites there was some little validity to the scriptures as a source of "family history", but ultimately the entire purpose is as Nephi says, to show forth the great things the Lord has done for the children of men and His tender mercies.

I actually personally prefer the discussion between Alma and Korihor in Alma 30. The reason being because as Alma points out, I too feel that all things denote there is a God. I really don't understand how anyone can look at the world around them, at the perfect order and harmony of nature, and not recognize that there is a God. That we are not here by chance. I look at my cat, lying on the bed beside me as I write this, and the fact that he has his own personality, generally the same as any other cat I've ever met, but at the same time completely different than any other creature out there. How can anyone deny the spirit and the individuality of us all?

Towards the end of Jacob 7 when Sherem calls forth the people of Nephi he confesses that he fears he has committed the unpardonable sin, and truly we cannot say for certain if he did or not, but he did knowingly deny Christ after he had a testimony so it will not be well for such a person. I have often wondered at how someone who has a testimony can lose it. And I have come to the conclusion that we lose a testimony the same way we gain one, one step at a time. Even people who goof up and commit really heinous crimes are usually horrified by what they have done the first time it happens.

Sherem most likely did not have the devil appear to him to tempt him until the doubt had already taken root in his heart. Almost all of us would recognize instantly if the devil were to appear to us without his first bringing us down spiritually first. We would react as Moses did during his vision and respond with "Where is thy glory that I should worship thee?" The way to make sure we never fall prey to such an attack upon our spirituality is to strengthen our testimony every day. I learned years ago that there is no standing still in this life spiritually speaking. We are ALWAYS moving one way or the other whether we realize it or not. So let's all make the conscious choice to move forward and grow closer to our Heavenly Father. Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment