Friday, July 9, 2010

The Olive Tree Allegory Part 1

Sadly, I was only able to read the 1st half of Jacob 5 today due to it still being painful to look down for too long. Nothing really struck me today in my reading so I thought I would talk a little bit about why I like this chapter.

Like most people who read this chapter, for the first half of my life, I hated this chapter. It was challenging to understand and it is a very long chapter, possibly the longest in the Book of Mormon. However, one day while I was on my mission, the eyes of mine understanding were opened and I was able to read this chapter in a new light.

I opened my Book of Mormon like I did everyday and saw that it was Jacob 5 and groaned a little inside. I said a prayer that Heavenly Father would help me understand the chapter better and as I started reading, it was like someone was there beside me whispering to me what each part meant. I did not physically hear anything, but when I would read a part of the chapter and read something, I would just instantly and instinctively know what the true meaning was. The first thing that became very apparent to me was that this chapter is about the Lord's history with the people of Israel.

It dealt with the frequent apostasy of Israel, the scattering of Israel, and the reclaiming of the Israelites. I will discuss more in depth tomorrow about the chapter itself, but even though I didn't get much reading done because of my injuries, I wanted to make sure I read at least a little and blogged. Remember to start each scripture reading session with a prayer and prepare your mind and spirit and the Holy Ghost WILL help you understand what you are reading and help you make it your own. He did for me that day. Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment