Sunday, July 18, 2010

Are we not all Beggars?

Today I read Mosiah 4, a chapter that is often times downplayed by otherwise faithful Latter-day Saints. This is the chapter that more or less concludes King Benjamin's wonderful sermon to his people that converted an entire nation to the true worship of Jesus Christ.

This chapter talks a lot about giving of your substance to those who stand in need. I was always taught by my father that when someone asks you for help and you don't render it, that is a sin upon you. Most especially this applies to those people who we all run into who ask for help in the form of money.

More than 3 times I have been in a Sunday School class when this chapter is being discusses and inevitably someone will say that King Benjamin is not referring to giving money to these people. And every time I sit there and wonder if these people are reading the same chapter 4 of Mosiah that I am. Because he says in very plain terms that that is exactly what we should be doing.

I remember being a missionary and I would always get accosted by people on the streets, or even in supermarkets sometimes, by people asking for money. And every time without a word I would reach into my pocket and give them a few dollars. I had a companion for 6 months, over 2 different companionships, who would especially call me a fool for giving away my money so carelessly.

Every time it would come up I would calmly reply to him that it did not matter what the individual was going to use the money for, the only important thing is that they asked for it, and I had it to give. It's actually interesting that about a year later we were companions again and we were eating at a Popeye's chicken restaurant and someone came up asking for money. To my surprise, as I reached for my money, my companion was also reaching for his money without complaint and gave to this man who had asked for assistance. When he saw my look of surprise he smiled and said, "Well, if there's nothing else that I've learned from you Elder Kaestner, it's how to be more charitable and give to those in need without complaint."

I've often wondered why so many people are so attached to their money? Especially those who live the gospel to its fullest in every other way. The Lord has said in times past that the earth has more than enough for all those who live on it and to spare. It is up to us to be charitable stewards and impart of our substance to those who stand in need.

I remember, again as a missionary, I met a homeless man named Robert. I remember him, because not once in the 4 months that I knew him did he ask me for money, or anything for that matter. The first time I met him, he was outside of a Wal-Greens store and he had a beautiful smile but there was sadness in his eyes too. I had brought my lunch that day but for some reason had not eaten it all. As we talked I asked him if he was hungry and when he replied that he was I handed over my uneaten lunch of peanut butter and jelly sandwich and chips. For the next 4 months I would bump into Robert every so often, maybe once or twice a week and that was all. And just like the first time, he was polite and had a wonderful countenance to him, and he never asked for help. Every time I saw him after we talked I would ask him, "Robert, have you eaten yet today?" And every time he would smile that sad smile and say, "Not yet, Elder, but I am working on it." And every time I would pull out what I had, which was usually only around $2-3 and hand it to him and say, "Go eat, Robert".

I do not know what became of him, he disappeared one day and we never saw him again. I do not know what brought Robert to his current state of affairs, nor did I care. It was only important to me that he was a Child of God and that he was suffering and I could do something small to alleviate his suffering. To those who may read this, know this, just as King Benjamin says in this chapter, God WILL hold us accountable to those we may have helped but turned away for any reason other than we had not the means to do so. When God blesses us, He expects us to use those blessings to bless the lives of others He will place in our path. May we use those blessings appropriately and help those in our lives that cross our paths. Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment