Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Brought out of Jerusalem

I read Jacob 1 - 2 today in my reading. A couple of things stood out to me in Jacob 2. I have always enjoyed verses 18 - 19. It is often quoted in the church. It briefly states to seek ye first the kingdom of God and then seek for riches if you so desire, because then you will seek to use riches as they are meant to be used, to help the poor and the needy.

It is always heart warming to see righteous people use their resources for good. My in-laws are a good example of that. Every fast Sunday (1st Sunday of the month) they invite many, many people over to their home for a dinner of sour dough waffles. They certainly don't have to do this, but they very much enjoy using their prosperity to the betterment of those around them. This is a perfect example of using what the Lord has blessed someone with for the benefit of others.

The 2nd half of Jacob 2 is very interesting. It is interesting to me because Jacob is forced to admonish his people against the practice of plural marriage. I'm sure lots of anti-LDS folks find that chapter and chapter 3 very entertaining considering the church's early days and practice of plural marriage. It mentions also David and Solomon and the many wives that they had. I have always been taught the reason the ancient prophets, like Abraham, Jacob(Israel) and David all had multiple wives is because they were given to them by the Lord.

The Nephites however, as evidenced by this chapter, had not been given multiple wives by the Lord. Also, if you study the early days of the church you will also find that no one took another wife save the prophet ok'd it. Now, personally, I can't understand why someone would want more than 1 wife. I love my wife with all my heart and cannot even for a moment conceive of sharing my heart with another woman, let alone at the same time!

I've often said that if the practice of plural marriage ever arises again in the church it will be a real challenge for me. One wife is more than enough for me. However, I do find it interesting that so many people who hate the Mormons for the early days of plural marriage and still accuse us of plural marriage, cheat on their wives! It's so sad to see what a state of debauchery we have slid into as a country when the sanctity of marriage means nothing to what appears to be the vast majority of people.

Now, I know that is not true, but the current statistic I think is that 48% of all marriages end in divorce. I would wager that at least a third of that 48% is because of infidelity in one form or another. Nevertheless, I do not wish to harrow up your minds on such a repugnant topic as this one, just as Jacob wished he would speak of happier things to his people, I will speak no more on this. Suffice it to say we need to be doing better as a nation. Children have a right to be born to loving parents that are married. Children grow and progress better in a stable life style. Rear your children in the right way they should walk and they will not depart from it the Bible says. I believe this admonition and I hope you all do too. Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment