Friday, July 23, 2010

The Sins of the Fathers

Today I read Mosiah 10. I was impressed by the fact that all throughout their history, the unreasonable hatred of the Lamanites for their brethren the Nephites was all based on a lie. However, the Lamanites believed it to be true, and that made it true for them. Most people have heard the phrase that perception is reality. And while that is false, just because you believe something is true does not make it true in reality, the fact that you believe it is true, blinds you to all else.

This is why it is SO important to teach our children the right path they should walk. Because what we teach our children is what they will believe for the rest of their life. It will help shape and mold them. And it will be almost impossible to overcome. Good or bad, what we teach our children stays with them.

Also, we teach our children more by our actions than we ever do by our words. We can preach and give sermons until the cows come home, but if we don't follow what we preach, then neither will our children. We have to do what is right and who our children by what we do that we believe what we are teaching them. I just hope and pray that I can be the Father my children need and that I can make sure I am following what is right so that they don't have to guess what I believe or what is right. Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment