Wednesday, July 14, 2010

As One Crying from the Dust

Today I read the Book of Omni and the Words of Mormon. I remember the first time I ever read the Book of Mormon and got to the Words of Mormon and I was SO confused. Of course I think I was only around 6 - 8 years old at the time. Just a fun fact.

The Book of Omni has always intrigued me. The sheer number of people that write in it and it covers 230 years in just 4 pages. The verse that really stood out to me today was in Omni 1:11 which was written by Abinadom where he says he knows of no prophecy except that which has already been written. I don't know exactly why I like this verse so much but it makes me happy to know that in the first 140 pages of the Book of Mormon, we already have the fullness of the gospel laid out to us. There is great comfort in that I think.

The Words of Mormon I have always enjoyed because it just gives us more insight into King Benjamin than we already had I feel. I also find it interesting that even though Mormon had already abridged the rest of his people's history and it would be a duplication of sorts, he included the small plates because he was commanded to. How grateful we all should be for these 10 men, who fulfilled the commandments of their God without knowing the reasons why. It is possible that after they wrote it, Nephi and Mormon were told the reasons why they needed to include the small plates or in Nephi's case to create them. However, at the time it needed to be done they just had to do it on faith.

How many times have we been asked to do something and we think to ourselves how pointless it is and how such and such already takes care of the need, etc, etc. This is always a great reminder to me that I never know what the consequences of my actions or my inactions will be. To this day I can think of around a half dozen or so times where I followed a prompting of the Spirit and can discern no apparent purpose for what I did. I still don't know what would have happened if I didn't follow through with it or in all actuality what DID come from it because I did it. I suspect I will never know. I feel a slight kinship with Nephi and Mormon in that regard. For example, I still don't know what will ever, if anything, come of doing this blog, but I felt it was an inspired idea so I will do this for a full year and then see what happens.

I guess I'm trying to say, when you feel an urge to do something righteous, whether you recognize it as a true prompting or just the light of Christ in you telling you what to do, don't question it. You are being given the opportunity to be God's tool and representative on the earth at that moment. You will never regret it either I promise you that, even if you never find out what it was necessary. :) Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment