Saturday, July 24, 2010

The Effect of an Unrighteous Ruler

Today I read Mosiah 11. This chapter always calls into question the wisdom of Zeniff, at least it does for me. I mean, he confers the kingdom on Noah, his son, who I can't believe that Noah was such a good actor that Zeniff didn't have at least an inkling of what his son's character was. So it just always makes me wonder if Zeniff just conferred the kingdom on his oldest son knowing what type of person he was, or he was just plain unobservant.

Anyway, this chapter is a perfect case study of the effects of an unrighteous ruler on his/her people. In chapter 10, Zeniff mentions that the last time they went up to battle with the Lamanites, his people went up in the strength of the Lord. So we know the people were generally righteous at that time. We are not given a time line for how much time has passed between that battle and chapter 11, but I can't imagine it was very long.

And because of the influence and the example of King Noah we see how the people have become and how far they had fallen! Sadly, it's still happening today. People do things because they see their leaders do it. At my work I still see certain employees breaking rules because they "saw a supervisor do it".

I understand that it is the natural man in everyone who makes mankind so quick to do iniquity, but it's just disturbing how naturally most people take to it. I truly believe that the light of Christ inside everyone guides and directs people to do that which is right until someone squashes it inside their hearts with too much debauchery! The only way to stay clean in this life is to constantly work at it. It's hard to remain righteous when it is so easy to sin and offend God and the spirit in each of us.

I've had my own struggles with my personal weaknesses that I still deal with on a daily basis, just like everyone in this life does. It's only as we work at it everyday that we can get better by degrees so that eventually we overcome that weakness and it becomes a strength with the help of our Heavenly Father, just like it says in Ether 12:26. I long for that day when I know longer have to fight against the tide and can make my weaknesses a strength. Until tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. I too have often wondered about how Zeniff could give the throne to his son Noah when Noah was such a stinker. I have a number of theories about it. One possibility is that Noah watched his pioneering dad struggle and sacrifice as king and he wanted to get out of that. It's also possible that gaining kingly absolute authority went to his head and it was just so exciting to be able to do whatever he wanted.

    ReplyDelete