Sunday, July 27, 2014

What Does it Mean to Be Like Moroni?

It has been a long and interesting week.  I was under the weather almost this entire week and so am just now finding the strength and time to write my thoughts down.  This week I read Alma 42 - 51 which is the start of the war chapters and our introduction to Captain Moroni, Lehi and Teancum.  The Three Amigos of the book of Alma if you will.  These three men almost single-handedly save the Nephites from destruction at the hands of Amalickiah and later his brother Ammoron.  They are men who take the defense of their people very, very seriously and are not to be trifled with.  They are men that will do anything to defend their people, including put to death those who would try and destroy them from the inside out.

I often wonder what people mean when they say they want to marry a man like Captain Moroni.  Are they just agreeing with Mormon who said that if all men would be like Captain Moroni that it would cause the powers of darkness to shake?  Or have they really thought it through?  Maybe they mean they want a warrior, or a no nonsense man of action?  Or someone with a testimony.  Maybe I will ask my wife tomorrow what she thinks it means.  To me it means that they want a man who is not afraid to cut anything that is impure out of his life.  If he has friends that are not uplifting, they will not be his friends long.  If he sees a piece of media that is filthy, he walks away and shuts it off.  He teaches his children to abhor sin and to embrace righteousness in all its forms.  He helps those in need and considers it a privilege to serve God.  That is what I think of when I think of Mormon's famous lines that we need to be like Moroni.  That is what I strive for, what I desire to be.  Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment