Saturday, July 12, 2014

Sacrifice for the the Gospel



Today I read Alma 15 – 16.  I have always liked the conversion story of Zeezrom.  It reminds me a lot of Alma the Younger’s conversion.  Like Alma, Zeezrom led many of the people to do wickedness and he did it for his own gain.  And yet, when confronted with the truth, Zeezrom recognized the truth and allowed the Spirit into his heart and it changed him.  He was converted and became a champion of righteousness.  He even joins the mission later on to the Zoramites to preach the Gospel.  He had a complete change of heart.  I wonder if Alma recognized his own conversion in Zeezrom?  I will wager that he did.

I also really respect  Amulek.  We find out in chapter 15 that the Gospel cost him his family, his friends and his fortune.  I can’t even imagine giving up everything like that for the Gospel.  I remember when I was leaving for my mission it was really hard.  I knew that nothing would ever be the same and I was giving up my friends for the Lord.  I can’t imagine doing that and giving up my family also.  My family kept me going and kept me motivated on my mission.  Poor Amulek was turned out by his father at the very least from what the scriptures say.  We don’t know if his wife and children left him too, we’re not told.  I like to think that they at least supported him, but we don’t know.  The Gospel is indeed worth everything we are required to give, but that doesn’t mean it is easy to do.  Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment