Thursday, July 26, 2012

Stand as a Witness for Christ

Today I read Deuteronomy 9 where Moses recounts the tale of the Golden Calf and how close the Lord came to destroying them at that time.  Only Moses intervening on their behalf saved their life.  It never fails to make me shake my head in wonder when I read the story about the golden calf.  I mean these people had been slaves for their entire lives, maybe even had prayed to the Egyptian gods a time or two, but it was their God who rescued them and they are quick to just toss Him by the wayside. 

But as I think on the Israelites, I am reminded of our generation now.  How people turned to God after September 11, 2001 and the horrible tragedy that befell our country.  How soon was it that people forgot all about God and now, as a nation, we are even further away from Him than we were before 2001.  Just as the scriptures say, we are like a dog that returns to its vomit.  And the sad part is, as a people, we like it that way.  We are just fine being hidden alcoholics, drug addicts, sex addicts, you name it and we're addicted to it.  It really saddens me to no end.  I wish more people would recognize what is going on, or be disturbed by it.  Because I think some do see it but don't care at all.  Which is almost more worrisome than those who don't see it. 

As Latter-day Saints, and all sects of Christianity, we need to stand up and be an example of the believers.  If we don't stand up for what is right, I really do believe that God will one day ask us why we shirked our responsibility.  As Latter-day Saints when we were baptized we promised to stand as witnesses of God at all times and in all places.  We made a covenant with our Heavenly Father and I promise He will hold us to it.  I personally do not want to be in that hot seat come the judgment day, and I'm pretty sure no one else does either.  It is better to endure the scorn of a few men and women here on earth, than the disappointment and potential wrath of God for eternity!  Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment