Sunday, July 15, 2012

Israel's Inheritance Set Forth

Today I read Numbers 34 where Moses divides the land of Israel up for inheritance for the various tribes.  Whenever I read the Book of Mormon or the Old Testament, I am struck by just how important inheritance is for the Israelites/Nephites.  They really are upset when they don't get it, and they anticipate it.  Personally inheritance has never made much sense to me.  To expect something that wasn't earned just because you are the person's son/daughter, is kind of silly to me.

In contrast, we have an inheritance waiting for us in the next life that will depend entirely on how we conduct ourselves in this life.  Heavenly Father is not going to just give us His kingdom and glory because He loves us.  We have to earn it and prove ourselves worthy of it.  Although there is a place prepared for those who have not, earned a good inheritance.  But the Israelites, and I don't think they are the only culture that did it this way, would give their children the best land and portions of their flocks for their inheritance, just because they were their children. 

Western society is all about have you earned it.  At least I should say it used to be.  Now we have swung the other way and and are all about the free hand outs and doing things that we haven't earned at all.  It's really very sad and is breaking down our society little by little.  I am personally for the earning inheritance system and am glad that Heavenly Father withholds His greatest treasure for those who prove themselves worthy of it.  I shudder to think if it was available to those who feel they deserve it just because.  Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment