Friday, July 20, 2012

Israelites Wipe Out the Bashan People

Today I read Deuteronomy 3 where Moses continues his telling of the story of their journey.  Moses reminds them of the destruction of some of the people's that the Lord gave into their hands.  I have never had a problem with this idea until I had children of my own.  I just cannot imagine destroying the people so utterly that even the children had to be put to death.  On the one hand, my knowledge of the plan of salvation, knowing that if they were under the age of accountability they would go straight to our Heavenly Father, comforts me that they were saved.  On the other hand though those last hours here on earth must have been terrifying for them.  I cannot help but imagine my own daughter in that position and it fills me with sorrow and horror.

Again, I reiterate that God does everything for a reason, even if I don't know what that reason is.  I  have to believe that He ordered the Israelites to kill the women and children of those people's for a purpose that is not known to me.  I believe I have a correct understanding of God's character and therefore know that He will not do anything without a reason, I have to trust Him.  I will again say though that I am extremely thankful that I live in this time because I don't think I have it in me to kill someone, let alone children.  Heavenly Father certainly knows what He is doing when it comes to the plan and how we all fit in it.  For that I am thankful as I have already mentioned, and it also reaffirms my faith in Him and that it is not misplaced.  Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment