Thursday, July 12, 2012

Israel Conquers the Midianties

Today I read Numbers 31 where the Israelites conquer the Midianites.  Once again they are commanded to wipe them out.  I used to think this was extremely cruel on the part Heavenly Father but then one day in Sunday School it was explained to me that if even one speck of impurity remains, it cannot be perfect and it made a lot more sense.  Although I am glad I did not live back then.  I could not have killed a baby even if my life depended on it.

However in this chapter, the Lord commands them to do something different.  He does command the Israelites to put all the men to death, even the little children.  However, when it comes to the women, he allowed them to leave all the virgins alive but kill the rest.  The virgin women were then absorbed into the Israelites.  I will admit that I do not know the mind of God and I am but a servant who tries his best to follow the directions that have been given to me, but I for the life of me can't understand why the virgin women would be allowed to live but the little boys would be put to death.  Perhaps one day I will understand.

The unique thing about this experience though, is it is one of the few times that Israelites actually obey God fully and do as He asks of them.  Typically when He commands them to do something such as conquer another people, they only half way listen and don't follow the commandments He gives them.  They took prisoners of course which upset Moses and I assume the Lord, but when God commanded them, through Moses, they obeyed.  While I don't always understand the commandments the Lord gives, I can emphatically say that if you follow God's commandments, you will not be led astray.  I also find comfort in knowing that He will never give us more than we can handle because as I said I'm not sure I could kill a child if my life depended on it.  I doubt I will be called upon to do such a thing in this day and age, but it is a comfort to know that whatever comes my way I will be able to handle it, even if it requires God's help.  Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment