Saturday, July 7, 2012

Another Census, Forty Years Later

Today I read Numbers 26 where the Lord commands Moses to number the people of Israel again.  This time however, they are near the city of Jericho and it has been forty years!  As they do the census the only people who were alive when they did the census at Mount Sinai was Joshua and Caleb.  Well, let me clarify, the only people who were over the age of twenty when they did the census at Mount Sinai.

This chapter has always made me wonder at the Israelites.  I don't like to judge and really don't like to assume I know what's really going on without all the facts, but the Israelites have always made me wonder.  I mean, they saw miracles on a daily basis, and yet still doubted the Lord would help them when it came to something as mundane as fighting a battle.  I'm sorry but providing food out of thin air for forty years is a lot more impressive than helping people win a battle in my opinion.  Not to mention the clothing getting bigger with the children as they grew.  Truly God can do anything and it is only our lack of faith or disobedience to His commandments that limits Him.  Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment