Saturday, July 28, 2012

God is Just

Today I read Deuteronomy 11 where the Lord essentially promises the Israelites that if they will follow His commandments, that He will bless them.  It honestly reminded me of Doctrine and Covenants 82:10 where the Lord says that if you will keep His commandments you will be blessed, but if you don't keep them, you don't have that promise, meaning it's up to Him to bless you or not.

I know I have talked about this before, but I don't understand why the natural man is so consumed with fairness and being equal in all things.  Real life does not work that way, and neither does eternity.  I am confident that eternity is not "fair".  It's just because God Himself will judge us according to our deeds and desires, but I am not sure I would call it fair in the sense that a child would use the word.  Although in the strictest sense of the word, I suppose it is fair as we will all of us receive the consequences of our actions, be they good or bad.

But Heavenly Father wants to bless us.  I am confident of this.  Just like I want to give my daughter everything her little heart desires, I am sure that Heavenly Father has to stop Himself from giving us too much.  He knows what we need in order to grow and progress and He knows that His stepping in too often will curtail that growth.  We need to be allowed to have those experiences that will help us progress.  Even if those experiences are not fun at all.  Just like my daughter needs to bonk her head sometimes to learn what is good and what is bad.  She has to be allowed to make mistakes in order to learn what is right and good for her to do.  I'm sure in Heavenly Father's eyes, we are similarly infants bumbling around trying to make sense of it all.  Hopefully we can figure it out without making too many mistakes!  Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment