Sunday, May 20, 2012

Sin Offerings are Outlined

Today I read Leviticus 5 where the Lord details the way to make a sacrifice for a sin offering.  It reaffirmed to me that I could not live back then.  I don't mind killing bugs, but anything with only four or two legs I have a hard time even thinking bad thoughts about.  I could not imagine having to kill a bird every time I committed a sin.

But just like we talked about yesterday, I think that is part of the point.  We are supposed to think about what we have done and it should be hard to make a sacrifice for our sins.  We should have to really think about what we have done.  In today's life, our sacrifice for sin needs to be a broken heart and a contrite spirit.  We should also feel badly that we caused Jesus to suffer more.  Sometimes however, I think the Israelites had it a little easier because theirs was a very physical reminder that they had done wrong.  I suspect though that after a little while it got easier and easier to just kill the pigeons and move on with your life.

And, despite their having to make a physical offering for their sins, they still had to have a contrite spirit and broken heart.  Repentance was still very real.  Amulek taught that the same spirit that inhabits our bodies in this life will inhabit them in the life to come.  Nothing changes with death.  We are still the same person.  Despite their sin offering being something tangible, they still had to repent of those sins and strive to be a better man or woman.  But I wonder how many of them understood that concept?  Not many I suspect and that is sad.  They could have had the fulness of the Gospel if they so chose, but they willingly rejected the greater blessings of the Lord.  Talk about a sad day.  Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment