Friday, May 11, 2012

Serving the Lord in His Way

Today I read Exodus 36 where it details the actual building of the tabernacle in detail.  It is interesting that it talks about the dimensions again of the tabernacle and what materials are used.  I suppose it's possible for someone to follow this model and build a replica of the tabernacle it is that detailed.  I'm really surprised Moses went to the trouble of recording this amount of detail for a reason, but I'll be honest that I don't know what that reason is.

As I was reading this chapter however I did think about the work of the Lord.  God is involved in all aspects of this church and the Gospel and He loves all His children very, very much.  He pays attention to us all and knows us by name.  That being said He takes care of us in a myriad of ways.  He sometimes will give us the opportunity to bless the lives of others.  At other times it is our turn to be blessed by someone else.  The law of consecration states that we will use our time and talents and everything we have to bless the lives of others in doing what God asks of us.  We are no longer asked to help build temples like the early saints were.  We are not asked to contribute funds or help build stake centers or chapels like our fathers and grandfathers were.  No, we are asked only to give up our time and some energy to bless the lives of someone else.

I have talked many times before now about how God uses us to further His work and have even mentioned how when we do this, it actually blesses us.  And this is all still very true, I just don't want to repeat myself too often.  But what has been on my mind a lot lately, is that we can be doing more.  That may sound harsh to some that are already giving it everything they have and perhaps it is harsh.  But when I think of people who declare they have earned a rest I can't help but think of Doctrine and Covenants 122:8.  Jesus Christ never passed up an opportunity to serve, that we know of.  Even when He was asleep, when people came to see Him, He got up.  Are we greater than He?  No, we are not.  If we are striving to emulate Him and His example, then we need to make sure we are truly emulating it.  It is more than just lip service.  Anyone can say they believe, the Zoramites did that much!  Much like a testimony is found in the bearing of it, true Gospel living is found in the living of it.  When asked to serve, we need to serve.  When asked to give, we need to give.  If you disagree, I invite you to read Mosiah 4 again.  And there will always be a multitude of reasons why you can't serve, but they will all sound very hollow when you stand before our Maker and have to give an accounting of why you didn't help one of His children when he/she needed it.  I know I don't want to be in that situation.  Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment