Thursday, May 24, 2012

Aaron Offers Sacrifice and Miracles

Today I read Leviticus 9 where Aaron and his sons take over the sacrifices.  Before this, Moses had performed the sacrifice if you read chapter 8.  I wonder if Aaron required a learning curve at all or if he got it right the first time?  I suspect Aaron did not do it picture perfect the first time, but was close enough.

The part of this chapter that stood out to me the most was the end of the chapter where Heavenly Father sent fire down from heaven to consume an offering.  What must it have been like to live in those days?  When there were miracles in such spectacular fashion like that?  I suppose it was a little frightening too.  I mean, as I think about it, if an angel suddenly appeared in my room when it was dark and no one else was around, that would be really spooky.  One moment nothing and then suddenly an angel is standing there?  Even Joseph Smith, who had seen Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ, stated that when Moroni appeared to him it frightened him, but the fear soon left him.

As neat as I think it would be to have a spiritual experience like that, I think it would be frightening too.  I mean, just imagine seeing fire descend out of heaven to consume a burnt offering like that?  That would sure spook me.  Although in this day and age of special effects, we might be too jaded for such miracles.  I suppose if this were to happen today for a group of people, the people would rationalize that it somehow was a Hollywood stunt or something similar.  I also once heard it said that in our day and age we don't need miracles to keep our faith up.  I don't know if this is true, but I do know that even if I saw Jesus Christ appear in front of me right now, it would not change what I already know.  I know He is real and He lives.  I know that this is His true church and that the Priesthood of God to officiate in His name has in fact been restored upon the earth.  I don't need to see Jesus Christ with my physical eyes to know that.  My spirit knows it and that is enough for me!  Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment