Thursday, May 10, 2012

The Israelites Build the Tabernacle

Today I read Exodus 35 where Moses teaches the people about keeping the Sabbath holy and the people come together to build the tabernacle.  This chapter reminded me a lot of the stories of the Saints in this dispensation building the Nauvoo temple.  All the people seem to have come together in order to build the tabernacle with everyone providing different parts of the labor to perform the commandment that the Lord issued.  I can't help but wonder if the people were so zealous to complete this because they were anxious to prove their recent transgression was in the past and would not be repeated. 

I also am amused that when Moses gives the children of Israel the commandment about keeping the Sabbath holy it merely says to rest on the seventh day.  All the little nuances such as how many steps they could walk on the Sabbath or what was allowed for them to eat, all came later and it did not come from Heavenly Father.  When Heavenly Father gave the commandment, it was a pure and simple command to rest from their labors on the seventh day.  I honestly don't understand how people can function without taking a day off from everything to rejuvenate themselves.  I would personally go nuts if I didn't have Sunday to rest and go to church and focus only on the things of Heavenly Father.  But then again, I was raised that way.  Perhaps those who were raised differently think that it is normal for them to feel run down all the time.  Who knows?  Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment