Monday, May 28, 2012

Law Governing Leprosy

Today I read Leviticus 13 where the law concerning leprosy is set forth.  I can imagine this law was followed very strictly and even the person who got the leprosy was understanding of the need to be separated.  Few diseases cause panic and fear like leprosy does.  I have often wondered why it was so prevalent in the olden days and why it is almost unheard of now.  I think perhaps living conditions have a lot to do with it.

This chapter is one that on the surface might seem like God is being really unfair to those who have the disease, but really this chapter shows His love for His people.  Leprosy is a very frightening disease.  I do not recall if it is communicable or not, but even if it is not, just imagine seeing someone who has chunks of skin falling off of their bodies.  That is a frightening prospect and not many people would want to be around it.  It would cause panic in today's culture for sure.  I am very glad that while it is still around, the cases are few and far between.  I don't think we would know quite how to handle an outbreak of leprosy in today's culture.  Talk about a Job experience and a disease that is meant to turn one to the Lord.  I cannot even imagine having such a debilitating disease.  It makes me very glad for the good health I enjoy.  Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment